Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Learning Curve

   I was a little brutal to myself in that last post, but this one's more upbeat. Last year both during the searching and after the salvation, I was in the process of reading Lee Strobel's "The Case For Christ". If you're unfamiliar with that title, it book was the chronicle of Lee's exploration of the veracity of the New Testament as the cynical, atheistic legal editor of The Chicago Tribune. After two years of research he realized that far from disproving the gospels, he'd proven to himself that Jesus was the unique son of God. Lee gave himself the Jesus, and today he's one of Christianity's greatest defenders both in print and in front of a microphone.
    But it's not the subject of the book I'm here to talk about so much as what this recent reread has revealed to me about my own progress in Biblical study. The first time I read it much of the scriptural references were very alien to me. When he talked of Paul or Isaiah, etc. the names were just names. So, while I certainly hung in with the narrative, a lot of the subtlety was lost on me.
     This time, though, I find that I'm getting much more out of it. I understand the background significance much more fully. I get it. So much so that I find myself a little surprised by it. So, this past 13 months of study has had a bigger pay off than even I realized.
   And that's just 13 months. I'm looking forward to having years and years of study under my belt! If you're a new Christian reading this my advice is to immerse yourself in The Word as though nothing else matters. Nothing else does.

(I highly recommend "The Case For Christ" if you haven't read it!)
http://www.lifeway.com/Product/the-case-for-christ-P001063503

No comments:

Post a Comment