Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Staying "On The Wall"

 Over the past couple of days I've been blessed with a huge opportunity to learn and grow as a Christian. To put it bluntly, I fell spectacularly on my face with my Compassion Sunday presentation. After turning the entire event and the response to it over to God, I did my thing during the Sunday Morning service yesterday and then didn't see a single child sponsored. I got a few browsers, had a couple of folks take a brochure, and had a Sunday School teacher say she intended to speak with her class about collectively sponsoring one. But there were no takers at the table.
   And I'll admit that this was a blow - at first. I was so jazzed in the morning when I was hurrying around setting up the display and coordinating the photos and videos with the tech team (my pastor!). The day promised great things, and I've been feeling very strongly about my advocacy with Compassion. So I really expected God to send at least a few takers, if not twenty, my way. But, nada.
    The difference between being saved and unsaved for Me was that even while feeling the sting as a Christian I recognized that the enemy was working on me to instill a sense of total defeat and get me to "come off the wall" to borrow from the story of Nehemiah. As His child I now know to step back, take a breath, and leave the previous man in his place - the past.
   So I did pray for calm, acceptance, perseverance, and discernment, and also that He'd aid me in quelling that awful self-pity that's crippled me all my life.
   And, I think it was God who led me to post about it on the Southeast Compassion Advocacy Facebook page. Boy was that ever a good thing to do. These more experienced advocates (not to mention more mature Christians) just got right to work lifting me up and providing that much needed sense of perspective I was praying for. A true blessing they!
    So, last night and all day today (didn't have to work) I had the opportunity to review it all and try to understand why things might have gone this way.


What I Did:
   I prayed beforehand and turned the entire thing over to God. Not just that He would just take over during the presentation, but that He'd open hearts. I did, indeed, feel that he gave me calm and a steady voice and spoke through me during the presentation. Basically, I obeyed the call to speak out, and that alone is a  huge victory.

What Happened:
    As it turned out, my pastor decided to turn "Compassion Sunday" into a broader day of sharing he called "Passion Sunday" with testimonies including one other fellow church member who was representing another very worthy charity. In all the service ran 45 minutes over time, and before my friend could get to where she was going to be greeting and taking donations she was swamped RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY TABLE. So that obviously hindered anyone getting to my display to check it out. (Not her fault of course. Love her!)
   Also, ours is a modestly sized congregation in an economically disadvantaged area. Plenty of members are barely scraping by, and we're also lopsidedly elderly. So, not the most perfect scenario for a presentation from the start.

What I Know:
   God has given me this ministry. My job is to work to remind Christians that our "treasure" isn't really ours as long as there is suffering and need in the world. And he's specifically connected me to work with Compassion International.

What I Don't Know:
   Well, there are plenty of things I don't know. First us is the obvious idea of having planted seeds. Sure, I have no way of knowing who might act later under the conviction of the Spirit. And another thing that's not knowable is whether He had a greater cause in mind. Perhaps He's already moved the wealthier Christian's in my church to commit the lion's share of their funds elsewhere. I have no idea. And it may be that he felt that the other charity was more in need in this circumstance.
   I could go on all day on the question of "what I don't know," but you get the point. He may have been, and almost certainly was, working for the greater good during our service.

What I Learned:
    Well, first off I was reminded that He's going to make me work for it. If anything has characterized this new Christian's relationship with the Father it's that I'm not going to get an inch of slack! And I understand that this is most likely because He understands what I need to experience in order to finally begin to "get it" a little. So, for me joining Christ has meant a constant uphill battle with the enemy's snipers behind every rock.
    I also was reminded not to isolate. I felt moved to share my disappointment with the advocacy network, and, as I said, that immediately set my ship right again. I always need to remember that I'm part of The Body, and to never try to go it alone.
    I gained, I hope, a goodly dose of humility. And boy do I ever need a steady dose of that!
    And I hope I learned patience. I recently read about a missionary to India who labored in obscurity for 40+ years before seeing a single soul converted. Patience, Chip, Patience.
 
Where I Am Now:
   Well, my confidence and zeal for this ministry is renewed. My wife and  new friends from the advocacy network came to my aid with sage advice when I was feeling pretty down about it. So I'm setting a goal to contact at least one pastor about possibly arranging a presentation some time hopefully soon.
    If you were one of those who came to my aid, THANK YOU!

(Next up: What I think He's revealing to me with the cancer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment