Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blessings Falling Like Rain

  There is joy in my heart today!
  When I was told I had Cancer, I knew I was in for a bit of a rocky ride on several fronts. So not only did I turn the course and success of my treatment over to God, but, knowing that I'd take a pretty significant hit in the pocketbook, I also put my finances in his hands. I've racked up quite a few medical bills of late, and I've missed a lot of work, so now that I've depleted my reserves I'm in a bit of a tight spot.
    Well, wouldn't you know that our awesome God would show up right on time! During my extended absence following the surgery my wonderful friends at work began working on a few fund raising projects on my behalf, and last week when I returned I found that they'd designed a T-Shirt which reads: I Wear (Blue Awareness Ribbon) for Chip - Colon Cancer Awareness, took orders, and sold to date over 100 of them! I mean, WOW! I have at least 100 friends who were willing to kick in for a shirt (also blue wrist bands)! And they've now had so many other requests that they're getting up another order! I was, to put it mildly, overwhelmed.
Some of my wonderful work pals sporting Chip shirts

    This week the radiology center where I work hosted it's annual BBQ picnic as a "Thank You" to all of the local medical offices we serve, and there were a LOT of those t-shirts in the crowd.
    So right now, not despite but because of the disease, I'm being blessed.  Not only has God come through for me, but He's filled me to overflowing!
    Here's what I've learned from all this:

- I asked long ago that He'd help me overcome my pride. Pride is a biggie for me in terms of spiritual hurdles. Well, I can't imagine a situation that would serve to convince a person that they're not really sovereign over his or her own life than a major illness. You might have been quite a competent captain of your ship, amassed wealth, and climbed the ladder of success, sat in an exalted position, but nobody is more than one doctors visit away from having all that Earthy security come crashing down. So, this illness has helped me down the road towards humility.
My Daughter in Law Christie
- In the same way it's brought me to a deeper understanding of HOW MUCH I NEED HIM. Yes, I'm reminded daily of my helplessness. And in that helplessness I call out to Him. Draw closer to Him. Depend on Him. And this has the happy effect of bring me into a much more intimate relationship with Him. No down side there!
- My humility is also aided by the fact that for the first time in my life it's me that needs assistance. I'll admit that there's a sense of pride that wants me to refuse the gifts of my friends because it puts me on the other side of the circumstance. Of course, I'd never have been so ungracious as to do anything other than thankfully accept their gift, but that thought was there. As my wise brother-in-law Randy pointed out to me, if I refuse to accept someone's gift then I deny them their blessing. Well, yeah! And I believe that God is using this to help me remember that I'm just another human and not so far above anyone that I can't find myself in need.

- I've found out just how many friends I have! I have been the blessed recipient of a tidal wave of love recently. Everyday I'm bowled over by this outpouring of love and support, and I guess I never realized how many people I touch in the course of my daily job. So far about 110 t-shirts were sold, and once others saw them, they expressed a desire to get one too. So my wonderful friends Panda, Denise, and Virgen are currently putting together another order. It's just so humbling and heart-warming to bask in this!
   So, I these days I feel much like George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life at the point where he comes home to find the entire town rallying to his aid and realizes he's the richest man in town - in friends.

   It may sound like pure insanity to a non-believer, but I have to say that Cancer, as ugly as it is, has also brought me more blessings into my life than pain. I praise my God for this!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment