Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Eli

   I worked as a table volunteer at a Compassion event at the Chattanooga Choo Choo convention center in last week. There was some mix-up, and the event coordinator who was supposed to be there was in some other part of the country. So the Compassion staff member who drew the short straw and had to drive in from Nashville with about 20 minutes notice was a guy named Eli. When he finally got there he was full of good humor - I mean he never stopped with the jokes for a second. Very nice guy who went on and on about how essential volunteers are to Compassion and how great it was for him to find all the displays in place and the table set up. A very enjoyable guy to be around. I liked him instantly.
   At some point he casually mentioned that he'd been a Christian recording artist back in the late 90s. So that night I looked him up on the Internets and was pretty blown away. I really like his music. And I mean really...not just because I liked the man first. So, here's a couple of YouTube clips.

(I also met a Ugandan woman named Olive who had been a sponsored child. What a treat that was, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to concentrate very intensely in order not to cry when she was giving her testimony before the audience that night. You know, southern male pride and all that :) 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment